Friday, September 12, 2008

Part-Time Job! Civic Duty! Money for talking?

The past 24 hours have been very eventful (except for the first 8 where I slept).

First of all, I've been keeping an extraordinarily detailed record of my expenses and income for the past few days. I'm beginning to see a trend - money goes out, and then more money goes out. And I've been frugal, too! A few unexpected [i.e unplanned for] expenses popped up. I had to spend 15$ ordering food for my phonebanking party....a few friends and I spent 3 hours calling up strangers trying to get them to vote for a certain state senate candidate.

Then I realized I didn't eat dinner, and the dining halls are closed, so there goes another 8$ for ordering out.

Here's the good news - if all goes well this weekend, I'll walk away with 90$ cash. Remember that part-time job I had given up on after multiple calls and an email? It turns out I was the only one to email the employer, and now I've got myself a weekend job, five hours each day. I'm getting 9$ an hour to hold a sign in front of a mall. Being frugal means being humble. Working a job others won't means you'll be able to do things others can't later in life.

In other CF news: I'm entering a speech contest wherein I speak for 8-10 minutes in support of a candidate for President. If all goes according to plan (the plan being victory!) then I'll walk away with a prize (boring!) and 200$. That's roughly a sixth of this. Fellow college students would do well to look for similar opportunities at their institutions of higher learning. Not as many people enter contests that require actual work....if you feel like you can win it, try. The worst case scenario is that you only learned more about a topic.


And that's the way it was.


...not to be overtly partisan, but does Sarah Palin scare anyone else?

No comments: